Technical and tactical features of a fight
After DOSAAF – ended its existence, the so-called national training under the effect of new factors began to get completely different, unusual features. First of all, disappeared the united organizing center, giving united, obligatory for all instructions, rules and demands. Certainly, this freed the creative potential of training, but in the same time opened the way to all possible charlatans and businessmen. Moreover, for many specialists a similar freedom proved to be difficult. Someone, using the absense of control, was brought down to mere primitives, others preferred to copy western training and dog preparing systems, even not looking into their classification: sport, home, entertaining and applied.
In this connection is very significant the fate of Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) as one of the impressive achievements of Russian cynology. With these dogs the majority of trainers fell in trouble: and the attempt to use sport systems (IPO, SchH, Mondioring etc), and working “with a twig and a sleeve” to nothing and this should have been expected. The main principle of the sport training is “game aggression – the catch”. With the Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) this won’t do. These dogs, which is called, won’t play. Their life cycle is simple and reliable: the calm accumulation of energy – hard short fight – the calm accumulation of energy. To spend force to scurry, bark and the ” conquest of toy” is not for them in any circumstances. Such way of life, “to give all forces” for a counted second of struggle in case of deadly contact with the predator, lasted millennium. And gave a unique character of Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka): explosive (unthinkable combinations of the apathy, on the border with stolidity, when its all in order and everything is quiet, with quick reactions, which do not know analogs in canine world, if the enemy is near). Passing from excitement to to absolute calmness occupies a fraction of second with a portion of smart caution, which tells about the highest intellect. Add here love of freedom and stubbornness. But now imagine a trainer, jumping in front of a 8-10 months Caucasian with the roller, cloth, stick or toy.
Firstly, being a puppy the Caucasian in this age is already trying to be the adult.
Secondly, the Caucasian always plays only if it will wish itself, not taking in an account the schedule of training.
Thirdly, with unfamiliar people it is not completely inclined to play!
That’s why with the sport method the trainer encounters with misunderstanding: either the dog unexpectedly instead of “the roller- rocker, cloth, stick, toy” to 2-3 second shows “the interest” to the trainer himself, that in the overwhelming majority of cases simulates complete moronism. Facing such uneasy choice, the majority of trainers, before they are accused of amateurness, quickly declare, that the dog is not suitable for anything, still this does not prevent them from taking a fee for their “job”. The volume of this job depends exclusively on decency of a trainer.
But if with the Caucasian works the worshipper of the procedures, where the brains of the trainer “declare its sovereignty”, i.e., hands and the feet make something , and the head does not know about it, then the result is almost the same as previous. The first time the dog believes in the “enemy” and clings to the sleeve, because cannot get further. But the 3-4 time it completely refuses to work because of the following:
1) this is an idiot, but not an enemy;
2) this idiot has something put on ;
3) leave me alone, I’ve a lot to do, and you tease me with trifles
But if the guide breaks by chance guide, when the trainer is just talking with the owner… On the whole, again you pay money, and change the trainer.
Very soon owners will tire with this and the Caucasian will to sit to himself in a yard or in a flat, making the reputation of a “not working” dog. And the breed…
How and to what should one “teach” a Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka)?
Subordination and obligation to the owner
Here the basic demand: small list of ” commands ” must be reliably worked out exclusively on the base of the contact with the owner- leader. Never do not attain from the Caucasian of the high rate of work or repeatedly doing commands.
If your dog is prepared by a trainer (not consulting in time of occupation, but holds the dog-lead himself), then he must be familiar for the dog. In any case the training house is hardly suitable for the Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka). It will not solve your problems. No matter how strange it sounds, but the fulfillment of commands not always tells about the subordination of the dog! Caucasian can carry out the commands ” to sit “, and then cripple you, if you approached too closely to its basin – if the contact with the dog was not fixed. That’s why training of a Caucasian is reduced to following:
– from the first moment of life of the puppy you must establish the right relations with it. This means that you subordinate dog to yourself, tying yourselves as a leader – just, affectionate, but strong and pitiless, when speech goes about its legal privilege. In conflicting cases you must use punishment – measure out (not too much), but momentary. Don’t forget, that, on the one hand, Caucasian has very low pain barrier, and on the other – inborn capability of demonstrating their subordination to a stronger member of a troop. Simply speaking – if a puppy stuck to your hand, and you hit it on the rump, and puppy began screaming – do not believe that you crippled him! It is pure simulation Subsequently all will be easy: what you want from it, it will understand from the first time, it doesn’t matter – “sit!”, “to me!” or “alongside!”. And not only he will understand, but also will memorize for life. If everything is alright with your contact and subordination , after 1-2 times the Caucasian will carry out any command. It is exclusively for you! Further puppy will begin to render passive resistance – to become “deaf” and “dumb”, and everything like this. But if there is no contact, then the first command the dog will ignore, and to the second will give a hostile reception. How this will end – God knows. You must also remember about the fact that the Caucasian unwillingly carries out any commands, when he is occupied with his deed. But the deed is one – guard. And here we approach to our main theme – the style of work with the Caucasian in the duel with a enemy.
Here it is appropriately to remind about the well-known special features of Caucasian Mountain dogs (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dogs, Sheepdogs, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) – the consequence of its character and “Weltanschauung”.
1. Special feature of a Caucasian – its “territoriality”. His is little interested in strangers, which are located beyond its territory. One ought not to cross the invisible line – that’s all. It was noted many times that the Caucasian – truly a guard dog, in contrast to breeds – rottweiler, dobepman, american staf. terrier, which are excellent defenders, but average guards. Taking into account all that was stated above, it becomes obvious an entirely different composition of the training process : if the dogs of other breeds are at first “trained”, and then tested on their territory, then with the Caucasian has to be trained entirely the other way around.
2. With correct training a Caucasian is capable “to work” not only on his, but also on unknown territory. You should only remember about the fact that in this way the Caucasian seemingly draws the “zone of guard” – territory of around the master- leader and himself. That is why these dogs almost agree “to walk” in the pursuit. As an additional “break” here serves the intellect of the dog: the unwillingness to leave the “territory” unguarded; understanding the fact that a runaway is not dangerous (if only it does not attempt to leave the guarded territory!), and it means it is weak or to surrender; and the Caucasian do not fight the weak and losers. Hence one additional rule of preparation: the opponent must always move toward the dog, even if it behaves passively. And “pursuit” must be worked out on the guarded territory when enemy will attempt to leave it.
3. Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) will never attempt to jump over barriers, will prefer to bypass them.
4. Main condition to the safety equipment and personal – their removability. In other words, Caucasian is more easily to challenge to the duel, if a man unknown to the dog in an imperceptible “protection” attempts to get to its territory. Special condition: enemy must try to cause in itself emotions, corresponding to the situation: hatred for the dog, fear, the desire to kill. If a Caucasian investigate the protective equipment – he will refuse to work! Specifically, that’s why it is so complicated to demonstrate their work at competitions. For a stable show in exponential groups it is very useful to intentionally make one of man an enemy of the Caucasian. Then, considering the “personal enmity” to itself the dog will show all, that it is capable in any conditions.
Now we have approached to the most important: how the Caucasian fights.
In any situation (the dog may be tied, on the block signal posts, just on the guide or in the free state), in the work of a Caucasian are always clearly seen definite tendencies and special features:
– Caucasian always looks into the eyes of the opponent. In this lies one unpleasant circumstance for the enemy: he does not know, where dog will attack. If other breeds dogs (especially if in their training was “game” and “catch”!) seemingly look eyes at the equipment (open or hidden – not important), thus pointing to the place of the attack. A Caucasian – never. Moreover, very typical situation, when a dog is forced to bite a definite place. Foe example, after placing the dog on a leash, they make it possible for it to reach to the forearm. But if the same attack dog is engaged in the offered place and will begin selflessly it “kill it”, then a Caucasian will grip by his canine teeth and, looking into the eyes of the enemy, it will attempt to drag him to himself. If he makes it, then it will let the forearm and clinch only he knows where! For the opponent this trouble is worsened by an additional circumstance.
– Caucasian always “steals” space. This means that he uses the tactics of choosing of a good moment for the attack. Caucasian seemingly entices the enemy to “his” territory, leaving the dog-lead saged, and in the free state changing the rate of attack, releasing or making a step aside. Then – an explosion!
– After gripping the enemy, a Caucasian always leaves himself a possibility of a new attack. Let’s start from the fact that the Caucasian always tries to attack an enemy man into the face or neck. But after taking any part of the body, except of those named, using strong jerks it attempts to bring him down, letting and gripping again and in another place. That is why the sense of the Caucasian’s bite of not in the pressing as “attack dogs”, but in him by canine teeth and jerk aside. But if the dog has reached the neck or face (not importantly, to knock off feet in swift throw – blow, or with a jerks blow), it gets his teeth to the end. This tactics and technology made from the Caucasian (besides his desire, of course) a follower of the domestic tradition in dogs training.
– Caucasian always fights cold-bloodedly and attentively, quickly and accurately reacts to the incoming actions of the enemy. What do the so-called western schools of training teach as the basic merit of a dog in the course of a duel? Hold by the grasp. If an opponent does bring an incoming blow? Hold by the grasp. Independently from the actions of the enemy- hold by the grasp! This is said to be some great discovery of German trainers, as a law, not a subject to discuss. However, the same German specialists by the mouth of Rikhard Most declared a contradictory things. On the other hand from Soviet ZKS (shielding -guard service) into its time there were ” removed ” the interceptions. For us the other thing is important: life itself has learned the Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) to the wary, rapid tactics the battle. Tactics, preserving with dog mobility and the possibility of attack into the most vulnerable spot of the enemy.
But why then there are two opinions? It is very simple: in the course of sport cynologist events there are no victims, but in life the brainless dare-devils don’t live long!
So what do we have?
- The Caucasian should be taught obedience based on exclusive contact with the leader-master. This obedience must be exclusively “everyday”, useful.
- The training of a Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) “of guard and protection” must be based exclusively on aggression of the Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) in maximally real situations.
- The tactics of conducting the fight of a Caucasian consists in the fact that it works “smart” to the limit: steals the distance, breaks the rate, it intercepts attacks or avoids them. Having chosen the a good moment, the dog explodes and it makes the outcome of the fight in a second, trying to bring the opponent down from the feet. Taking into account the fact that this behavior of a Caucasian Mountain dog (Caucasian ovcharka, Shepherd dog, Sheepdog, Kavkazskaya ovcharka) is inborn, any attempts to stick the dog to game and sport methods is just a crime against the breed!