How to find a good reputable dog breeder?
- Attend a Dog Show. Well-bred dogs are featured in dog shows so they’re a great place to get referrals to quality breeders.
- Ask for References. A good breeder will have plenty of great references and they won’t mind providing them to you.
- Ask a Vet for Referrals.
- Contact Local Breed-Specific Organizations.
- Contact the AKC.
- Ask Friends.
- 1 How do I find a reputable dog breeder in my area?
- 2 How do I find a reputable dog breeder online?
- 3 Where can I find people to breed dogs?
- 4 Why is it so hard to find a dog breeder?
- 5 How do you tell if a breeder is a puppy mill?
- 6 Where can I find respectable breeders?
- 7 How do I know if a breeder is legit?
- 8 Is it safe to buy a puppy online?
- 9 Does Petland use puppy mills?
- 10 Is PETA against breeding?
- 11 Is there an app for dog breeders?
- 12 What age can a dog get pregnant?
- 13 What dog breed is right for my family?
- 14 What paperwork should I get when buying a puppy?
- 15 How can I find a puppy?
How do I find a reputable dog breeder in my area?
The easiest and most convenient way to find a breeder and the right dog for you is through www.akc.org. The AKC web site offers potential puppy buyers access to a wealth of information on buying a dog, selecting a breeder, and dog care.
How do I find a reputable dog breeder online?
Most reliable breeders earn their reputation by providing healthy pups to good homes resulting in “word of mouth” references. Meet breeders at local dog shows or look online for local breed clubs and review the AKC Breeder Referral page on their website www.akc.org.
Where can I find people to breed dogs?
How To Find a Mate for Your Dog – Online & Offline
- Finding your dog a mate online. Local Facebook Groups. Reaching out to known bloodlines and breeders. Dog breeding websites. Online forums. Dog breeding apps.
- Finding your dog a mate offline. Dog shows. Kennel clubs. Speaking with other breeders.
Why is it so hard to find a dog breeder?
Even top breeders can’t guarantee a problem-free dog for life. These hobby breeders can be difficult to find, mainly due to the anti-breeding mentality that unfairly places them in the same category as irresponsible breeders and puppy millers. Very few advertise and most only produce litters once or twice a year.
How do you tell if a breeder is a puppy mill?
If local, the seller/breeder refuses to show potential customers the place where animals are being bred and kept. The seller/breeder doesn’t ask lots of questions. If you can click and pay for a puppy without screening, it’s probably a puppy mill. The seller/breeder makes no commitment to you or the puppy.
Where can I find respectable breeders?
Get a referral You can find responsible breeders by asking for referrals from your veterinarian or trusted friends, by contacting local breed clubs or visiting professional dog shows.
How do I know if a breeder is legit?
Ask if the breeder is a member of an AKC-affiliated club and contact that club to verify membership or check recent listings of available AKC Litters from breeders. You can also check with the BBB (www.bbb.org) and the AKC (919-233-9767) to see if there are any complaints about the breeder.
Is it safe to buy a puppy online?
That’s why, in the US, the ASPCA and the Humane Society both say you should never buy a puppy online. The International Pet and Animal Transportation Association explains: “Pet scam criminals use free websites, Craig’s List, local newspapers, or Facebook to advertise pets that do not exist.”
Does Petland use puppy mills?
America’s largest chain of puppy-selling pet stores, Petland Inc., is also the nation’s largest retail supporter of puppy mills. There are more than 200 Petland stores worldwide, with about 140 in the U.S. Collectively, these stores sell tens of thousands of puppies each year.
Is PETA against breeding?
California has officially become the first state in the country to ban the sale of dogs, cats, and rabbits from breeding mills.
Is there an app for dog breeders?
PuppyFat is a software application that lets breeders log their records quickly; store their records securely, and share them seamlessly with vets and future pet owners. Try it free.
What age can a dog get pregnant?
Even though most dogs can get pregnant between six and twelve months, this doesn’t mean that it’s best for the dog. The dog must be matured before getting pregnant and breeding, as it can lead to some behavioral or physical problems. Your dog should have a chance to grow up.
What dog breed is right for my family?
A: You should consult your veterinarian and then look on the AKC web site. Look at each breed you’re interested in and determine the exercise requirements, the grooming requirements, the temperament, and the trainability of each breed.
What paperwork should I get when buying a puppy?
Paperwork and health Ask for proof of any vet checks, vaccinations (where applicable), microchipping, and/or pedigree papers. Be aware that the puppy should be at least eight weeks old at the point when it goes home with you. A responsible breeder would never send you home with a puppy younger than that.
How can I find a puppy?
Your local animal shelter or rescue organization can help you find the right match for your family. There are also breed-specific rescue groups for every breed of dog, including “designer” or “hybrids” like labradoodles and puggles. The Shelter Pet Project can help you find a great dog or puppy in your area!