The short answer is yes but. Germany Shepherd dogs and cats absolutely can get along but they are not guaranteed to do so. Much will depend on the temperaments and past experiences of each animal. However, as an owner there are many things you can do to encourage their relationship.
Is the German Shepherd Good with other dogs?
- Let’s not forget the issue if a German shepherd are good with other dogs or breeds. As previously said, German shepherds are social dogs. Plus, they are not aggressive. While they may be to cats they don’t know, they wouldn’t be even for other dogs they’ve never seen.
- 1 Will my German shepherd hurt my cat?
- 2 Are older cats good with puppies?
- 3 What is the best puppy to get with cats?
- 4 Are German shepherds good with other dogs and cats?
- 5 Can you train a German shepherd to like cats?
- 6 Are shepherd dogs good with cats?
- 7 How do I socialize my puppy with my cat?
- 8 Do cats do well with puppies?
- 9 How long will it take for my cat to accept a new puppy?
- 10 What dogs are bad with cats?
- 11 Are male or female dogs better with cats?
- 12 What dog breed is most like a cat?
- 13 Are German Shorthaired Pointers good with cats?
- 14 Why German Shepherds are not good family dogs?
- 15 What is the best breed of German shepherd?
Will my German shepherd hurt my cat?
German Shepherds are large, energetic, strong, intelligent, and often dominant and prey driven dogs. This means they are very likely to chase cats in their home, yard or neighborhood. Because of their size, a German Shepherd that is aggressive to cats can pose a serious danger to a cat.
Are older cats good with puppies?
For instance, it can be helpful if your new puppy — when fully grown — is the same size as or smaller than your senior dog, so the former doesn’t beat up on the latter too much. A cat and a dog can absolutely be best friends, but you have to help them build a relationship slowly and carefully.
What is the best puppy to get with cats?
10 Dog Breeds That Get Along Well With Cats
- #1: Golden Retriever. Golden Retrievers are one of the best dogs for cats, and “golden” is a fitting word to describe this classic breed.
- #2: Labrador Retriever.
- #3: Beagle.
- #4: Pug.
- #5: Bichon Frise.
- #6: Shetland Sheepdog.
- #7: Basset Hound.
- #8: Poodle.
Are German shepherds good with other dogs and cats?
Most German Shepherds are fine with other dogs and cats in their own family, if introduced to them when the dog is young. I’ve had multiple German Shepherds living harmoniously with my Chihuahuas and cats. However, some German Shepherds show strong predatory/chasing behavior toward cats and other animals that run.
Can you train a German shepherd to like cats?
To train a German shepherd to like cats requires patience and dedication. You make progress by rewarding the dog for being calm around the cat, but for every time the dog is quiet there will be times when he growls or barks trying to get to the cat. But be patient and consistent and you stand every chance of success.
Are shepherd dogs good with cats?
Many German Shepherds can get along fine with a cat with proper socialization and training. Keep in mind that individual dogs could react to their feline counterparts differently. Plus, just because they get along with one cat, it doesn’t mean they’ll get along with all cats.
If your dog or puppy is in a crate you can give them a distracting toy and then bring your cat into the room. Never force any interactions but just give your cat a lot of attention and positive experiences such as grooming, playing, and treats while they are in the same room as your dog/puppy.
Do cats do well with puppies?
In most cases, with time, your new puppy and your cat will come to accept each other and may even become friends. However, each situation is different and you should assess the reactions of both animals before you allow them to remain together unsupervised.
How long will it take for my cat to accept a new puppy?
While there are some parings that work out in days, in some rare cases, it never works out. Liz Palika noted that, in her experience, the “get acquainted” process usually takes two to three weeks. Dr. Landsberg noted that sometimes it’s not easy to tell by their interactions if a dog and cat are getting along or not.
What dogs are bad with cats?
Top 20 Worst Dog Breeds For Cats:
- American Pit Bull Terrier.
- Scottish Deerhound.
- Bedlington Terrier.
- Shih Tzu.
Are male or female dogs better with cats?
Interestingly, when you have more than one dog or cat, the opposite sexes get along better. Maybe they see each other as less of a threat when it comes to their mating instincts or their place within the social pack. And spaying and neutering have alleviated many of the gender-specific problem behaviors.
What dog breed is most like a cat?
7 Dogs That Are Basically Like Cats
- of 7. Basenji. Just like a cat, the Basenji is a good little hunter, according to Dog Time.
- of 7. Chow Chow.
- of 7. Greyhound.
- of 7. Manchester Terrier.
- of 7. Papillon.
- of 7. Shiba Inu.
- of 7.
Are German Shorthaired Pointers good with cats?
GSPs are, by nature, often not very amicable with cats and other small furry or feathery pets. However, caution should always be used with any other small pet companions such as cats, rabbits, gerbils, birds, and some toy breed dogs. The GSP and owner will both benefit from obedience and other types of training.
Why German Shepherds are not good family dogs?
Like other large breeds, German Shepherds are susceptible to bloat, which can be a potentially life-threatening condition, so it’s always important to arm yourself with the proper knowledge you need to keep your pal healthy and happy.
What is the best breed of German shepherd?
Dutch Shepherd Dutch Shepherd dogs are herding dogs bred by Dutch farmers and shepherds to adapt to tough conditions. Dutch Shepherds are among the best shepherd dogs and most competent at herding, agility, obedience, and guarding. They are great companions who are very loyal and protective of their owner and family.