On average, the cost of a German Shepherd ranges from $500-$1,500. According to NextDayPets, the average price is $800 for a dog that’s bred to be a family pet. The price goes up for show-quality dogs with an exceptional lineage.
- This is typically what people are picturing when they hear the term “German Shepherd”. These shepherds should at a very minimum be AKC certified. They range from $200 – $800. With no paperwork, free might be acceptable if you just want to give a dog a new home.
- 1 How much should a German Shepherd puppy cost?
- 2 Are German shepherds expensive to own?
- 3 Why are German shepherds so expensive?
- 4 What’s the most expensive dog?
- 5 How much is a black German Shepherd?
- 6 How much is a pitbull?
- 7 Are German shepherds aggressive?
- 8 Is owning a German Shepherd hard?
- 9 How do you pick a German Shepherd puppy from a litter?
- 10 Is a German Shepherd a good family dog?
- 11 How much is a white German shepherd?
- 12 What dog cost $10000?
- 13 What dog cost $5000?
- 14 What is the cheapest dog you can buy?
How much should a German Shepherd puppy cost?
A reasonable price for a purebred German Shepherd puppy should be around $1200- $2000, depending on your location and the litter size. If you have ever asked the question: “Why are GSD puppies so expensive?”, you should understand the very basic cost for the breeders.
Are German shepherds expensive to own?
The cost of owning a German Shepherd can be around $85 per month once you have paid for your pup (the average initial buying cost being $2000). Therefore, the lifetime cost of owning a German Shepherd over 10 years can be up to $12,230, for both the cost of the puppy plus all food and care expenses.
Why are German shepherds so expensive?
Why are German Shepherd puppies so expensive? The main reason German Shepherd puppies cost so much is that the cost of breeding German Shepherds and raising the puppies is not cheap. Below is a chart breaking down the approximate costs associated with breeding.
What’s the most expensive dog?
Top-10 Most Expensive Dogs
- Dogo Argentino – $8,000.
- Canadian Eskimo Dog – $8,750.
- Rottweiler – $9,000.
- Azawakh – $9,500.
- Tibetan Mastiff – $10,000.
- Chow Chow – $11,000.
- Löwchen – $12,000.
- Samoyed – $14,000. Coming in at the #1 overall spot for the most expensive dog in the world is the Samoyed originating from Siberia.
How much is a black German Shepherd?
You can expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $2,000 for a high-quality, completely black puppy. This is significantly more expensive than the $500 to $1,500 you can expect to pay for a usual German Shepherd. However, this is still much cheaper than you might expect for a large dog.
How much is a pitbull?
A Pitbull puppy price from a reputable breeder can average from $2100 to $21,000. These are puppies that come from prestigious lines. However, it is possible to find Pitbull puppies that cost from $810 to $1,100. These guard dogs when purebred can be very costly.
Are German shepherds aggressive?
The breed is naturally protective of its owners. If the German Shepherd is not properly socialized, it can become too aggressive with strangers. The German Shepherd is more likely to bite a stranger than a Labrador Retriever, but it is not nearly as aggressive breed as a Pit bull or Rottweiler.
Is owning a German Shepherd hard?
Living with a German Shepherd can be highly rewarding or very frustrating, depending on the place they hold in the family and your own ability to train them. At heart, the German Shepherd is a pack animal and needs a role in your family, his pack (akc.org).
How do you pick a German Shepherd puppy from a litter?
Selecting your German Shepherd puppy from a litter
- Choose a puppy that is sociable around you and other puppies.
- Pick a puppy that walks confidently with its head high and tail up and wagging.
- Choose a puppy that has clear eyes, ears, and teeth, walks evenly, and appears clean.
- Look at the personalities of the puppies.
Is a German Shepherd a good family dog?
German shepherds can be very gentle companions and family protectors with proper training and socialization. It’s an ideal breed for active households. The intelligence and protective demeanor of this breed can make it a good choice for families with children as long as the dog is properly trained.
How much is a white German shepherd?
As these dogs are relatively rare, breeders can charge more for a White German Shepherd puppy. While the average puppy price for a standard German Shepherd starts at about $300 and goes up to $900, White German Shepherd puppies cost between $750 – 1000.
What dog cost $10000?
1. LÖWCHEN. Löwchens are a petite, long-haired dog that have been a popular breed since the Renaissance, and are even featured prominently in paintings from that period. Nowadays, these “little lions” are extremely rare, pushing their cost to as much as $10,000 in some places around the world.
What dog cost $5000?
An Egyptian Pharaoh hound puppy costs about $5,000. The Thailand Ridgeback is among the 10 most expensive dog breeds because it’s the rarest registered dog breed in America. Thailand Ridgebacks resemble Dobermans.
What is the cheapest dog you can buy?
6 of the Least Expensive Dog Breeds to Own
- American Foxhound. While there are also English Foxhounds which are said to run about $100 or so for a puppy, we’re going with the American because we can.
- Black and Tan Coonhound.
- Rat Terrier.
- Miniature Pinscher.
- Golden Retriever.