What do you need to know before you get a German Shepherd?
- 9 Things You Need To Know Before Getting A German Shepard 1. There will be fur. Everywhere. 2. Expect to buy a lot of replacement toys. 3. They require a ton of attention. 4. They tend to play rough. 5. Their bark is worse than their bite Sometimes. 6. Get ready to have an extra shadow. 7. So. Much. Whining.
- 1 Where can I find a German Shepherd puppy?
- 2 What is the best way to get a German Shepherd puppy?
- 3 What is the average price for a German Shepherd puppy?
- 4 How can I get a free German Shepherd puppy?
- 5 How can I adopt a German Shepherd?
- 6 Why are German shepherds so expensive?
- 7 Do German shepherds bark a lot?
- 8 Are German shepherds easy to potty train?
- 9 Do police use male or female German shepherds?
- 10 Can I feed my GSD raw meat?
- 11 Is a German Shepherd a good family dog?
- 12 Is a boy or girl German Shepherd better?
- 13 What is the rarest German Shepherd color?
- 14 Is a black German Shepherd rare?
Where can I find a German Shepherd puppy?
The easiest way to adopt a German Shepherd Dog would be through a rescue that specializes in German Shepherd Dogs. A great place to start would be by starting a breed search on Adopt-a-Pet.com. The search will show you all the available German Shepherd Dogs in your area.
What is the best way to get a German Shepherd puppy?
Selecting your German Shepherd puppy from a litter
- Choose a puppy that is sociable around you and other puppies.
- Pick a puppy that walks confidently with its head high and tail up and wagging.
- Choose a puppy that has clear eyes, ears, and teeth, walks evenly, and appears clean.
- Look at the personalities of the puppies.
What is the average price for a German Shepherd puppy?
If you are buying a puppy from a breeder you can expect to pay anywhere from $600-$1500. The average price of a German Shepherd puppy is $1000. As a general rule reputable breeders tend to charge higher prices because they put more time, effort, and money into caring for their breeding dogs and puppies.
How can I get a free German Shepherd puppy?
Free German Shepherd puppies
- You Can Find Free German Shepherd puppies and Dogs at Your Local Animal Shelter – If You’re Patient and Stubborn Enough to Keep Trying.
- Don’t look for free animals on places like Craigslist – they are often nothing more than a scam.
How can I adopt a German Shepherd?
To adopt a German Shepherd, the easiest way is to contact animal welfare societies, rescues, and shelters. You can also search online at Adopt a Pet or Petfinder. It’s best to visit the dog if you can. Then complete the adoption application and interview, and bring your new dog home.
Why are German shepherds so expensive?
Why are German Shepherd puppies so expensive? The main reason German Shepherd puppies cost so much is that the cost of breeding German Shepherds and raising the puppies is not cheap. Below is a chart breaking down the approximate costs associated with breeding.
Do German shepherds bark a lot?
German Shepherds have one of the loudest barks and they may bark so loudly that they don’t even hear you. You cannot out yell or scream your German Shepherd while they’re barking at strangers, plus this doesn’t teach them anything except that you also have a strong reaction to the stranger.
Are German shepherds easy to potty train?
While breed is not a reliable indicator of temperament, German shepherds are described as intelligent and confident. They have plenty of energy and are eager to please. This can make them one of the easiest dogs to potty train when you proceed with consistency and plenty of positive reinforcement.
Do police use male or female German shepherds?
Male dogs are often picked as police dogs. They show more aggression and are stronger as female dogs. You can not say a male dog is better than a female dog. It simply matters how the canine will be assigned to work for you.
Can I feed my GSD raw meat?
German Shepherds can definitely eat raw meat. Although choosing it over high-quality kibble is a matter of your personal preference, raw feeding is not necessarily detrimental to your GSD’s health. You just need to be aware of how to do it properly to ensure adequate nutrition and to avoid potential hazards.
Is a German Shepherd a good family dog?
German shepherds can be very gentle companions and family protectors with proper training and socialization. It’s an ideal breed for active households. The intelligence and protective demeanor of this breed can make it a good choice for families with children as long as the dog is properly trained.
Is a boy or girl German Shepherd better?
Research shows that males German Shepherds are more aggressive than female German Shepherds. This means that a family should consider choosing a female for a companion over a male. Males tend to perform better for roles in protection and guarding and could do well in a home without children and the proper training.
What is the rarest German Shepherd color?
The rarest color of German Shepherd is the isabella due to the recessive combination of liver and blue. You will have to search for a long time to get such a puppy – and his price will likely be high as well!
Is a black German Shepherd rare?
However, the black German Shepherd is much less well-known. This coloration is extremely rare and not currently recognized by most major kennel clubs. However, fully black German Shepherds do exist. This is not due to crossbreeding; the gene for completely black coats is carried by purebred German Shepherds.