Where did the working line German Shepherd come from?
- The history of the working line German shepherd can be traced back to the 1850s in Germany when the dogs’ breeding was standardized. Dog breeding was introduced mainly to produce dogs that would help the shepherds protect the flock from predators.
- 1 Can a working line German Shepherd be a pet?
- 2 How much exercise does a working line German Shepherd need?
- 3 How do I raise my German Shepherd puppy?
- 4 How much does a working line German Shepherd cost?
- 5 How long do working line German Shepherds live?
- 6 How do you pick a German Shepherd puppy from a litter?
- 7 How far can a 12 week old puppy walk?
- 8 When can I take my German Shepherd puppy for a walk?
- 9 How do I know if I’m over exercising my puppy?
- 10 How do I train my 6 week old German Shepherd puppy?
- 11 How do you train a German Shepherd puppy to pee outside?
- 12 Do police use male or female German Shepherds?
- 13 Why are German Shepherd puppies so expensive?
- 14 What is the most expensive German Shepherd?
Can a working line German Shepherd be a pet?
In these homes, dogs from working lines can be fantastic pets because they are getting the physical and mental stimulation that they need and the owner is learning and becoming educated on how to house and train and work such a dog.
How much exercise does a working line German Shepherd need?
A working line German Shepherd needs 90 to 120 minutes of intense exercise every day. However, you should conduct not all of a GSD’s exercise in a single session – you should split exercise sessions to 2 or 3 times per day depending on the activity. This is far better both physically and mentally. 2
How do I raise my German Shepherd puppy?
German Shepherd Puppy Training Tips
- Tip #1: Socialize your German Shepherd puppy.
- Tip #2: Teach your German Shepherd puppy to use his mouth properly.
- Tip #3: Potty train your German Shepherd puppy the right way.
- Tip #4: Don’t be afraid to use food treats for training.
How much does a working line German Shepherd cost?
Started dogs can be as pricey as $5,000-$7,000. Working German Shepherds that have been fully trained can be extremely expensive, up to $20,000. For this price, you get an absolutely flawless dog with extensive skills and perfect obedience.
How long do working line German Shepherds live?
The average life span of a German Shepherd is between 10 and 13 years. Some may live shorter lives if they encounter unusual health problems, while some might live beyond 13 years if they’re in good health. As we can see in the table below nearly 50% of this dog breed dies between the age of 10 and 13 years.
How do you pick a German Shepherd puppy from a litter?
Selecting your German Shepherd puppy from a litter
- Choose a puppy that is sociable around you and other puppies.
- Pick a puppy that walks confidently with its head high and tail up and wagging.
- Choose a puppy that has clear eyes, ears, and teeth, walks evenly, and appears clean.
- Look at the personalities of the puppies.
How far can a 12 week old puppy walk?
A 12-week-old puppy can walk for 15 minutes per day. And a 4-month-old puppy can walk for 20 minutes a day.
When can I take my German Shepherd puppy for a walk?
You should start walking your German Shepherd puppy at 8 weeks of age. Begin with only 10 minutes of continuous walking at a slow and relaxed pace. Add on 5 minutes of walking for each month your pup is old. If they show signs of tiring, such as lying down, lagging, or continually stopping, then end the walk.
How do I know if I’m over exercising my puppy?
Watch out for signs of fatigue, such as your pet panting, slowing their pace, or lagging behind you or stopping. If you notice this, allow them to rest. Watch for overheating, such as your pet panting excessively, drooling, showing signs of agitation/confusion or vomiting.
How do I train my 6 week old German Shepherd puppy?
Obedience Training Your 6-Week-Old German Shepherd Puppy
- Never shout at your pup for not performing a command you want.
- Start with the two most basic commands of “sit” and “down” if you train your pup at this young age, as these are daily movements your pup already makes and you can put a name to more easily for them.
How do you train a German Shepherd puppy to pee outside?
Take him straight out to the spot in the yard where you want him to go. Use a verbal cue to get him used to going out on command, like “go potty”. Give him a few minutes to get his mind back on needing to go potty. When he goes, be sure you praise him and give him a tasty treat.
Do police use male or female German Shepherds?
Male dogs are often picked as police dogs. They show more aggression and are stronger as female dogs. You can not say a male dog is better than a female dog. It simply matters how the canine will be assigned to work for you.
Why are German Shepherd puppies so expensive?
Why are German Shepherd puppies so expensive? The main reason German Shepherd puppies cost so much is that the cost of breeding German Shepherds and raising the puppies is not cheap. Below is a chart breaking down the approximate costs associated with breeding.
What is the most expensive German Shepherd?
It only costs $230,000. CNBC visited the Harrison K-9 facility, a South Carolina-based dog training company that only sells the most highly trained and intelligent German Shepherds to executives and celebrities.