10 things to expect when getting a German Shepherd
- A dog needs your attention and time.
- People will be scared of your German Shepherd.
- The German Shepherd ears can cause a lot of trouble for their owners.
- A German Shepherd dog should have a yard.
- A German Shepherd should not live in tropical or very warm climates.
- 1 What should I know before owning a German shepherd?
- 2 Are German shepherds for beginners?
- 3 Is it hard to raise a German shepherd?
- 4 What do I need for a German shepherd?
- 5 Do German Shepherds bark a lot?
- 6 Do German Shepherds bite?
- 7 Should I get a male or female German shepherd puppy?
- 8 Can German Shepherds be left alone?
- 9 Who should own a German shepherd?
- 10 How much do German Shepherd puppies cost?
- 11 How much does a German Shepherd cost monthly?
- 12 Are German shepherds easy to potty train?
- 13 Do German shepherds like to cuddle?
- 14 Should I let my German shepherd sleep with me?
- 15 What are good first time dogs?
What should I know before owning a German shepherd?
So here are the 10 things you really need to know before adopting a German shepherd.
- They are smart.
- They can have high-energy needs.
- They require mental stimulation.
- They’re cuddle bugs at home but aloof in public.
- German shepherds are natural guard dogs.
- They are excellent listeners.
Are German shepherds for beginners?
German Shepherds are good first dogs for first-time owners. They are easy to train, obedient, affectionate, loyal, are good with kids and other pets, making them an excellent choice for both families or lone owners. However, they need a lot of exercise, shed a lot, and can become clingy.
Is it hard to raise a German shepherd?
Training a GSD is not simple and requires attention, stamina, consistency, and most importantly, a cool attitude. Many GSD owners become forceful during their training process. Note that GSDs are wild dogs that are not only strong but aggressive as well.
What do I need for a German shepherd?
This is a definitive list of 15 things you may need when you first bring your GSD puppy home:
- Travel restraint.
- Playpen or puppy gates.
- Poo bags.
Do German Shepherds bark a lot?
German Shepherds have one of the loudest barks and they may bark so loudly that they don’t even hear you. You cannot out yell or scream your German Shepherd while they’re barking at strangers, plus this doesn’t teach them anything except that you also have a strong reaction to the stranger.
Do German Shepherds bite?
The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) conducted a study and concluded that German Shepherds were one of the most dangerous breeds based on bite severity and frequency of biting. This is not surprising given the fact that German Shepherds have one of the most powerful bites of all breeds.
Should I get a male or female German shepherd puppy?
Research shows that males German Shepherds are more aggressive than female German Shepherds. This means that a family should consider choosing a female for a companion over a male. Males tend to perform better for roles in protection and guarding and could do well in a home without children and the proper training.
Can German Shepherds be left alone?
German Shepherds shouldn’t be left alone for longer than 4 hours. If you leave your GSD alone for too long, they could suffer from separation anxiety and distress. Consider hiring a dog sitter, dog-walker, or asking a friend to watch your German Shepherd while you’re out at work.
Who should own a German shepherd?
A well-bred and trained GSD is a true companion and loyal friend. When raised with children and other pets and well socialized they are calm and friendly dogs, unless they sense danger or threat to their family. The breed is highly intelligent and will quickly catch on to what makes the owners happy.
How much do German Shepherd puppies cost?
If you are buying a puppy from a breeder you can expect to pay anywhere from $600-$1500. The average price of a German Shepherd puppy is $1000. As a general rule reputable breeders tend to charge higher prices because they put more time, effort, and money into caring for their breeding dogs and puppies.
How much does a German Shepherd cost monthly?
The cost of owning a German Shepherd can be around $85 per month once you have paid for your pup (the average initial buying cost being $2000). Therefore, the lifetime cost of owning a German Shepherd over 10 years can be up to $12,230, for both the cost of the puppy plus all food and care expenses.
Are German shepherds easy to potty train?
While breed is not a reliable indicator of temperament, German shepherds are described as intelligent and confident. They have plenty of energy and are eager to please. This can make them one of the easiest dogs to potty train when you proceed with consistency and plenty of positive reinforcement.
Do German shepherds like to cuddle?
3) They often snuggle or cuddle. Apart from following you around, German Shepherds like to feel physically close to you. Snuggling or cuddling is one of the best signs that your GSD is being affectionate because this is one way they treat you as part of their pack.
Should I let my German shepherd sleep with me?
As a puppy, you should not let your German Shepherd sleep with you, although they can sleep beside you if they are not on your bed. Your puppy needs to get used to a regular schedule, work on their independence, and see you as the dominant figure. It can be okay once your GSD is an adult.
What are good first time dogs?
Here are some of the best medium-to-large breeds for first-time owners.
- Golden Retriever. Image. Golden Retrievers are hugely popular with first-time owners, and it’s easy to see why.
- Labrador Retriever. Image.
- Standard Poodle. Image.
- Greyhound. Image.