The German shepherd dog is a herding breed known for its courage, loyalty and guarding instincts. This breed makes an excellent guard dog, police dog, military dog, guide dog for the blind and search and rescue dog. For many families, the German shepherd is also a treasured family pet.
What do you need to know before you get a German Shepherd?
- 9 Things You Need To Know Before Getting A German Shepard 1. There will be fur. Everywhere. 2. Expect to buy a lot of replacement toys. 3. They require a ton of attention. 4. They tend to play rough. 5. Their bark is worse than their bite Sometimes. 6. Get ready to have an extra shadow. 7. So. Much. Whining.
- 1 Are German Shepherds good pets?
- 2 What are the best things about German Shepherds?
- 3 What to know about owning a German Shepherd?
- 4 Why German Shepherds are not good pets?
- 5 Do German shepherds bark a lot?
- 6 Can German shepherds be left alone?
- 7 Is German Shepherd a good first dog?
- 8 How do German shepherds show love?
- 9 Is German shepherd a family dog?
- 10 Do German Shepherds like to cuddle?
- 11 What is the smartest dog?
- 12 Do German Shepherds bite their owners?
- 13 Do German Shepherds like to swim?
- 14 What is the best family dog?
Are German Shepherds good pets?
Bred for herding and commonly used as watchdogs due to their high level of intelligence, German Shepherds make great pets for active households. Regular training for your German Shepherd is imperative for a well-behaved, sociable pet. They need both mental and physical stimulation daily because they are so clever.
What are the best things about German Shepherds?
Top 10 reasons why you would want a German Shepherd
- #1 German Shepherds are highly intelligent.
- #2 German Shepherds are healthy.
- #3 German Shepherds are highly adaptable.
- #4 German Shepherds are active.
- #5 German Shepherds are devoted to their families.
- #6 German Shepherds are loyal and protective.
What to know about owning a German Shepherd?
So here are the 10 things you really need to know before adopting a German shepherd.
- They are smart.
- They can have high-energy needs.
- They require mental stimulation.
- They’re cuddle bugs at home but aloof in public.
- German shepherds are natural guard dogs.
- They are excellent listeners.
Why German Shepherds are not good pets?
German Shepherds, like any large breed, are prone to canine hip dysplasia, a crippling and potentially fatal disease. Good GSD rescuers will also be aware of such problems, and whether the rescued dog you’re considering has shown symptoms of or has been treated for any health issues while with the rescue.
Do German shepherds bark a lot?
German Shepherds have one of the loudest barks and they may bark so loudly that they don’t even hear you. You cannot out yell or scream your German Shepherd while they’re barking at strangers, plus this doesn’t teach them anything except that you also have a strong reaction to the stranger.
Can German shepherds be left alone?
German Shepherds shouldn’t be left alone for longer than 4 hours. If you leave your GSD alone for too long, they could suffer from separation anxiety and distress. Consider hiring a dog sitter, dog-walker, or asking a friend to watch your German Shepherd while you’re out at work.
Is German Shepherd a good first dog?
German Shepherds are good first dogs for first-time owners. They are easy to train, obedient, affectionate, loyal, are good with kids and other pets, making them an excellent choice for both families or lone owners. However, they need a lot of exercise, shed a lot, and can become clingy.
How do German shepherds show love?
Most dogs you’ve formed a bond with will show excitement when seeing you after a while of being apart. German Shepherds are especially known for this. They may jump up at you, lick your face, and run around aimlessly at your presence. They may even whine from their inability to contain their excitement.
Is German shepherd a family dog?
Training a GSD is not simple and requires attention, stamina, consistency, and most importantly, a cool attitude. Many GSD owners become forceful during their training process. Note that GSDs are wild dogs that are not only strong but aggressive as well.
Do German Shepherds like to cuddle?
German Shepherds are known for being obedient, loyal and protective; they have a lot of qualities that make them a great breed of dog to own. They are especially ideal if you are looking for a guard dog. Most German Shepherds enjoy cuddling and showing affection to their owners whom they trust.
What is the smartest dog?
Check out the top ten smartest dog breeds.
- Border Collie. Smart, Energetic Dog: This breed is notably known for being high-energy herding dogs.
- Poodle. A Friendly, Active Breed: A Poodle is one of the smartest dog breeds.
- German Shepherd Dog.
- Golden Retriever.
- Doberman Pinscher.
- Shetland Sheepdog.
- Labrador Retriever.
Do German Shepherds bite their owners?
One common cause of dogs biting or acting aggressively towards their owners is resource guarding, which means the dog growls or bites if someone comes near or tries to take the dog’s food or toys, or tries to remove the dog from a resting place.
Do German Shepherds like to swim?
German Shepherd Unlike many other dog breeds on this list, German Shepherds weren’t specifically bred to swim. But since they are naturally athletic and courageous dogs, they are more likely to love water and become strong swimmers.
What is the best family dog?
List of Top Family Dogs
- Labrador Retriever.
- Irish Setter.
- Bull Terrier.
- Bulldog. For a devoted, patient pup that’s sure to act affectionately towards kids, the Bulldog is your go-to breed.