German shepherd dogs (GSD) are noble, diligent, loyal, and highly intelligent dogs. Though they are excellent herding dogs, German shepherds are very well suited to work as service animals, such as guide dogs for the blind. They are excellent performing as working dogs, especially in police and military operations.
What are the cons of having a German Shepherd?
- Cons of Owning a German Shepherd Big Shedders. If you have German shepherds, expect to spend some time vacuuming or sweeping fur at least twice a week. Destructive When Left Alone. Workfreaks. Loud Barkers. Puppy Mills. They Don’t Get Along Quickly. Alpha Tendencies. Investment (Money, Time, Effort) German shepherds are big, which means they’ll allocate more space.
- 1 How are German shepherds beneficial to humans?
- 2 Is a German shepherd a good dog for me?
- 3 Why German Shepherds bite their owners?
- 4 Is German shepherd safe for family?
- 5 Do German shepherds bark a lot?
- 6 What is the smartest dog?
- 7 What is the best dog to own?
- 8 Should I get a female or male German shepherd?
- 9 Do German Shepherds like to cuddle?
- 10 Are German Shepherds aggressive to strangers?
- 11 Can German shepherds be left alone?
- 12 Is a German Shepherd good for a first time owner?
- 13 What owning a German Shepherd says about you?
How are German shepherds beneficial to humans?
There are a large number of reasons why German shepherds make for a great service companion for a person. Their work can range from police dogs or assisting in narcotics and bomb detection to being a loving companion to someone suffering from PTSD or depression – and there’s a reason why!
Is a German shepherd a good dog for me?
German Shepherds are highly intelligent. If they are not given a job to do they will often come up with their own. Like any dog, the German Shepherd is a social animal and needs to be part of a family. The loyalty that endears this breed to many requires that it not be banished to the backyard.
Why German Shepherds bite their owners?
Resource guarding. One common cause of dogs biting or acting aggressively towards their owners is resource guarding, which means the dog growls or bites if someone comes near or tries to take the dog’s food or toys, or tries to remove the dog from a resting place.
Is German shepherd safe for family?
They are one of the best guard dog breeds that are known to save their family from enemies. 6- German Shepherd make wonderful companion – They are sweet and have a friendly behavior towards their family members. Yes, they can be not so friendly towards strangers but for known faces they serve as an ideal companion.
Do German shepherds bark a lot?
German Shepherds have one of the loudest barks and they may bark so loudly that they don’t even hear you. You cannot out yell or scream your German Shepherd while they’re barking at strangers, plus this doesn’t teach them anything except that you also have a strong reaction to the stranger.
What is the smartest dog?
Check out the top ten smartest dog breeds.
- Border Collie. Smart, Energetic Dog: This breed is notably known for being high-energy herding dogs.
- Poodle. A Friendly, Active Breed: A Poodle is one of the smartest dog breeds.
- German Shepherd Dog.
- Golden Retriever.
- Doberman Pinscher.
- Shetland Sheepdog.
- Labrador Retriever.
What is the best dog to own?
RANKED: The 11 Best Dog Breeds
- German Shepherds.
- Golden Retrievers.
- Newfoundland Dog. Flickr/alicjap Known as “nature’s babysitter,” Newfoundland Dogs are the absolute sweetest.
- Portuguese Water Dog. POTUS is a big fan.
Should I get a female or male German shepherd?
Research shows that males German Shepherds are more aggressive than female German Shepherds. This means that a family should consider choosing a female for a companion over a male. Males tend to perform better for roles in protection and guarding and could do well in a home without children and the proper training.
Do German Shepherds like to cuddle?
3) They often snuggle or cuddle. Apart from following you around, German Shepherds like to feel physically close to you. Snuggling or cuddling is one of the best signs that your GSD is being affectionate because this is one way they treat you as part of their pack.
Are German Shepherds aggressive to strangers?
German Shepherds are extremely overly protective when it comes to their family and owners. So, when they see a stranger coming in the house, they see it as a threat that could harm its family. That’s why a GSD becomes aggressive, starts barking and charging at the person.
Can German shepherds be left alone?
German Shepherds shouldn’t be left alone for longer than 4 hours. If you leave your GSD alone for too long, they could suffer from separation anxiety and distress. Consider hiring a dog sitter, dog-walker, or asking a friend to watch your German Shepherd while you’re out at work.
Is a German Shepherd good for a first time owner?
German Shepherds are good first dogs for first-time owners. They are easy to train, obedient, affectionate, loyal, are good with kids and other pets, making them an excellent choice for both families or lone owners. However, they need a lot of exercise, shed a lot, and can become clingy.
What owning a German Shepherd says about you?
German shepherds are sometimes shy around strangers but warm up once they get to know you. Owners of German shepherds would do anything for their friends and make extremely loyal companions that are protective of those that they love.