10 German Shepherd Dog Facts
- German Shepherds will explore everything with their noses.
- GSDs are incredibly smart.
- German Shepherd Dogs are protective of their loved ones.
- GSDs provide constant companionship.
- German Shepherds are known as a mouthy breed.
- German Shepherds shed.
- Typically, German Shepherds have a black saddle and black face markings which appear in the shape of a mas covering their muzzle. The German Shepherd is a double-coated dog which means that they have a thicker coat and are able to tolerate colder weather conditions. However, it also means that they shed more frequently than other dog breeds.
- 1 What should I know before owning a German Shepherd?
- 2 Is a German Shepherd a good house pet?
- 3 Are German shepherds good dogs for beginners?
- 4 Are German shepherds hard to train?
- 5 Do German Shepherds bark alot?
- 6 Do German Shepherds bite?
- 7 Can German shepherds be left alone?
- 8 Are male or female German shepherds better?
- 9 How do I pick a good German Shepherd puppy?
- 10 Which dog is best for first time owner?
- 11 Who should own a German shepherd?
- 12 Do German shepherds like hugs?
- 13 Are German Shepherds easy to potty train?
- 14 How often do you bathe a German shepherd?
- 15 How many times a day should I feed my German Shepherd?
What should I know before owning a German Shepherd?
So here are the 10 things you really need to know before adopting a German shepherd.
- They are smart.
- They can have high-energy needs.
- They require mental stimulation.
- They’re cuddle bugs at home but aloof in public.
- German shepherds are natural guard dogs.
- They are excellent listeners.
Is a German Shepherd a good house pet?
German shepherds can be very gentle companions and family protectors with proper training and socialization. It’s an ideal breed for active households. The intelligence and protective demeanor of this breed can make it a good choice for families with children as long as the dog is properly trained.
Are German shepherds good dogs for beginners?
German Shepherds are good first dogs for first-time owners. They are easy to train, obedient, affectionate, loyal, are good with kids and other pets, making them an excellent choice for both families or lone owners. However, they need a lot of exercise, shed a lot, and can become clingy.
Are German shepherds hard to train?
You begin to watch this dog, tempted to bring home a puppy of your own. Yet, before you do so, you begin to wonder why this breed is easier to train than other dog breeds. German Shepherds are dogs that are easier to train over other breeds for many reasons.
Do German Shepherds bark alot?
German Shepherds have one of the loudest barks and they may bark so loudly that they don’t even hear you. You cannot out yell or scream your German Shepherd while they’re barking at strangers, plus this doesn’t teach them anything except that you also have a strong reaction to the stranger.
Do German Shepherds bite?
The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) conducted a study and concluded that German Shepherds were one of the most dangerous breeds based on bite severity and frequency of biting. This is not surprising given the fact that German Shepherds have one of the most powerful bites of all breeds.
Can German shepherds be left alone?
German Shepherds shouldn’t be left alone for longer than 4 hours. If you leave your GSD alone for too long, they could suffer from separation anxiety and distress. Consider hiring a dog sitter, dog-walker, or asking a friend to watch your German Shepherd while you’re out at work.
Are male or female German shepherds better?
They mark their territory by urination and this can annoy some owners. They are also more likely to have stronger personalities and a proud sense of character. Female German Shepherd dogs are gentle when compared to males. They are more gentle and friendlier towards their family.
How do I pick a good German Shepherd puppy?
A German Shepherd puppy should have, first and foremost, a good temperament. They should be inquisitive, outgoing, and unafraid in his advances towards everything and everybody. They will also demand and exhibit affection without inhibition. Many times puppies will single out one of the litter to pick on.
Which dog is best for first time owner?
9 Great Dog Breeds for First-Time Owners
- labrador retriever.
- cavalier king charles spaniel.
- soft coated wheaten terrier.
- english springer spaniel.
- shih tzu.
Who should own a German shepherd?
A well-bred and trained GSD is a true companion and loyal friend. When raised with children and other pets and well socialized they are calm and friendly dogs, unless they sense danger or threat to their family. The breed is highly intelligent and will quickly catch on to what makes the owners happy.
Do German shepherds like hugs?
3) They often snuggle or cuddle. Apart from following you around, German Shepherds like to feel physically close to you. Snuggling or cuddling is one of the best signs that your GSD is being affectionate because this is one way they treat you as part of their pack.
Are German Shepherds easy to potty train?
While breed is not a reliable indicator of temperament, German shepherds are described as intelligent and confident. They have plenty of energy and are eager to please. This can make them one of the easiest dogs to potty train when you proceed with consistency and plenty of positive reinforcement.
How often do you bathe a German shepherd?
Unlike other breeds, German Shepherds don’t need to bathe often. In fact, it’s best that they only bathe every 3-4 months. German Shepherds have a double coat – the topcoat and the undercoat. The topcoat protects them from sun exposure, dust and other particles.
How many times a day should I feed my German Shepherd?
In summary, for adult dogs, feeding German Shepherds about 2.5 to 3.5 cups of quality kibble per day, twice a day, is a good starting point. Modify amount fed as required based on your dogs size, weight, age and overall daily activity.